Signs your dog might be pregnant!
Noticed your dog has become a little lazier and it's not just age catching up? Think your dog might be expecting? This blog will cover everything you need to know about catching the pregnancy in time and what you can do to keep your dog safe and comfortable during the process!
During the first few weeks there may be no changes in your pet physically or emotionally. This soon develops into vomiting or loss of appetite. Here are some more physical indicators you can catch at home!
- Increase in appetite - Your dog may suddenly feel hungry even after her meal and needs more food and nutrition to keep her going.
- Weight gain - After a few weeks your dog’s abdomen will expand in size. This is one of the clearest indicators of pregnancy, especially if your pet has no other reason for this sudden weight gain.
- Increase in nipple size or discolouration - Due to the hormonal changes your pet’s nipples will grow or expand to prepare for feeding the puppies.
- Decreased activity and laziness - If your dog easily becomes exhausted or is spending more time napping, it may indicate that she is pregnant.
- Nesting behaviour - During the later weeks of pregnancy, you may notice your dog begin to shred her bed, sheets and other soft material to create a nest. She may also become irritable and reclusive during this time, so it’s best to leave her be.
- Behavioural changes - While some dogs become more affectionate and look for comfort others have an increased irritability and do not want to engage. This depends on your pet and the hormones they are exposed to during pregnancy. It is important to do whatever they feel comfortable with and not force them and stress them.
Here are some medical tests you can get done with your Vet if you see most of the physical indicators and are pretty sure you are expecting puppies!
- Abdominal palpation
- Hormone test
Dogs are pregnant for approximately 62-64 days, or about two months, however, the exact dates will vary depending on your dog's breed and other factors so you have time to prepare!