CBD for Pets
Posted on February 14 2022
Here are the Do’s and Don'ts of CBD oil! This oil has suddenly gotten a lot of pet parents excited and here is why. To understand how CBD oil can help our pets we need to know more about CBD itself and what effects it has on the mind and body.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a compound found in the cannabis plant. While marijuana may be the most well-known form of cannabis, CBD oil is derived from the drug's safer and more medicinal relative-hemp. Hemp has been used for medicinal purposes for over 1,000 years, and veterinary science is finally embracing CBD oil for its healing properties. You can pick one up for your pet on Amazon or a vet store near you!
Does your pet get “high”?
Studies show over 60+ chemicals found in the cannabis plant, called cannabinoids. Out of those 60, there are two main types: CBD and THC. Most people recognize THC as the substance in marijuana that makes you high but ignore the CBD content. Isolated CBD is safe and non-psychoactive and DOES NOT have any mental affect. It stimulates the body's endocannabinoid system to promote overall healing and a state of relaxation.
When can you try CBD as a cure?
CBD oil can be given to promote daily health along with food. However if your pet suffers from any of the things mentioned below we definitely think it's worth a shot!
- Natural Painkiller: CBD oil can reduce pain and give the muscles a sense of numbness and can help with pain management of chronic diseases.
- Anti-Anxiety: Oral use of CBD can relieve stress and anxiety in pets. It can be given to them in stressful situations such as thunderstorms, going to the vet or when being left at home.
- Effective Anti-Inflammatory: Many athletes use CBD products as a muscle relaxant and immune system booster. The oil helps stimulate the immune system’s response to many physiological problems such as swelling, arthritis, and muscle injuries.
- Help joints and bones: For senior pets facing arthritis CBD oil is said to be a game changer. The oil can be either massaged or consumed and has a positive effect on bone and joint health. It helps as a lubricant and pain reliever and can be given from adulthood to breeds prone to arthritis like Labradors. There are many medical CBD tablets available which your vet can prescribe for your pet at the clinic as well.
- Healthy skin and fur: Often we forget that we need to have a skin and hair care routine for our pets as well. Bad skin and fur can cause them to carry ticks or fleas or feel uncomfortable on the daily. CBD oil can be massaged on pets to help with dry skin, ticks and fleas as well as nourish their fur. Their coat roots will strengthen and become shiny after a few applications!
Things to remember: